Like most people, we are trying to piece together how things will change for us once some of the pandemic stay-at-home restrictions start to be lifted. Right now, things are pretty muddy. Canada is still getting clarity on whether we have reached the peak of COVID-19 cases, plus figuring out different regional/provincial approaches to lifting restrictions. It will be slow and gradual but which businesses or activities will be allowed to resume first? And how will physical distancing be incorporated?
Yesterday we got a piece of our own puzzle solved. We won’t be moving onto our boat in mid-May, as per our original plan. The news from our sailing club (Trident) was that the launch of boats cannot be envisioned before mid-June, and that all members must understand that the season may not go ahead at all. This is based on provincial restrictions in place for COVID-19 – restrictions that we fully support.
Thankfully, we have been blessed with wonderful parents who are thrilled that this little tweak in our plans will land us in their home for at least the next month or so. My parents live in Trenton, Ontario (very close to CFB Trenton) in a lovely bungalow on half an acre of land and in walking distance to the Bay of Quinte. It is the perfect spot for us – we will have lots of waterfront for scenic walks and for Ocean to go swimming and we will have a spacious backyard for Ocean to catch frisbees, for BBQing and for just resting in the sunshine. If a few restrictions are lifted, we also will also be able to explore Bay of Quinte waterways in our inflatable kayaks. Best of all, of course, we will be with my parents. They are both in their late seventies/early eighties and we look forward to helping them out where we can. It will also help our hearts to have more family in our pandemic bubble 😊.
And we will see where the road takes us!
One day at a time
We have had several people ask us if COVID-19 will be changing our plans. The answer to this is a very on-the-fence “no”, “yes” and “we don’t know”. These are truly crazy times when that is a real answer and everyone gets it 😊. I will break it down with what we know today.
No, our plans do not change: We are still very determined and excited to sail down to the Caribbean. This will happen. Our timing for leaving may just have to shift a bit (read below under “we don’t know”).
Yes, our plans are changing: Our original plan was to move onto the boat over the Victoria Day weekend (mid-May). Currently, this doesn’t look like a possibility. In order to move onto the boat, we need to get it in the water and to have marinas/clubs up and running so we can get our sewage holding tank emptied (ah, the glorious yachting life!). Marinas and yacht clubs are non-essential services in Ontario so are included in the list of business that must remain closed for the time being.
Also of great importance is that the Canadian border to the United States is closed. We need it to open by August in order to leave in 2020 as there is a sequence of events for our departure that starts that early. If not 2020, we will be leaving in 2021. Basically, we will be leaving as soon as we have the green light.
Victoria is a hiker, dog-lover, blog writer and planner extraordinaire. Oh, yeah and she is kind of fond of living on a boat.