We have had several people ask us if COVID-19 will be changing our plans. The answer to this is a very on-the-fence “no”, “yes” and “we don’t know”. These are truly crazy times when that is a real answer and everyone gets it 😊. I will break it down with what we know today.
No, our plans do not change: We are still very determined and excited to sail down to the Caribbean. This will happen. Our timing for leaving may just have to shift a bit (read below under “we don’t know”).
Yes, our plans are changing: Our original plan was to move onto the boat over the Victoria Day weekend (mid-May). Currently, this doesn’t look like a possibility. In order to move onto the boat, we need to get it in the water and to have marinas/clubs up and running so we can get our sewage holding tank emptied (ah, the glorious yachting life!). Marinas and yacht clubs are non-essential services in Ontario so are included in the list of business that must remain closed for the time being.
Also of great importance is that the Canadian border to the United States is closed. We need it to open by August in order to leave in 2020 as there is a sequence of events for our departure that starts that early. If not 2020, we will be leaving in 2021. Basically, we will be leaving as soon as we have the green light.
Victoria is a hiker, dog-lover, blog writer and planner extraordinaire. Oh, yeah and she is kind of fond of living on a boat.